As the crypto industry continues to mature with new innovations coming out of DeFi and the NFT world at breakneck speed, wallets also need to adapt to new market needs. Wallets are at the forefront of cryptocurrency user’s experiences. It is the structure and foundation that gives way to users in using blockchain applications in a secure manner.
The Ballet wallet is amped up to announce a new function within our Ballet Crypto app to allow more functionality and interoperability between DeFi dapps and wallet technology.
WalletConnect is an open source protocol allowing mobile and/or desktop wallets to seamlessly connect to DeFi applications in a secure and easy manner. From the official website, WalletConnect is:
WalletConnect is an open source protocol for connecting decentralised applications to mobile wallets with QR code scanning or deep linking. A user can interact securely with any Dapp from their mobile phone, making WalletConnect wallets a safer choice compared to desktop or browser extension wallets
Many DeFi applications over the past year allow users to connect their desktop wallets directly, assuming the user has their wallet on the same desktop. With WalletConnect, a user can use their wallets on their mobile phones to connect with a DeFi application on a desktop.
How to use WalletConnect with the Ballet Crypto App?
*Users would first need to open up Expert Mode to use this function.
For our example, let’s use the Uniswap desktop application as an example. For those who have used Uniswap in the past, the process of connecting your Metamask, for example, to Uniswap is very similar to the way you would need to use WalletConnect.
- Open up the Uniswap dapp on your desktop browser and click the ‘Connect to a wallet’ button on the top right corner.
- Then click on the ‘WalletConnect’ button amongst the wallet options on the pop-up window.
- A QR code will then pop-up which would require you to use the WalletConnect scanner in the Ballet Crypto App to scan.
- Navigate to your Ballet Crypto app, open up the menu option, and click on ‘WalletConnect’ under the Services section.
- Click on ‘Connect’ to confirm you want to use the WalletConnect function in the Ballet Crypto App with Uniswap.
- After connecting, your Ballet Crypto app should be paired up with Uniswap and ready to DeFi away. When you are prompted to approve transactions and such, you would receive a prompt within your Ballet Crypto App to approve.
It’s always good practice to make sure you are using your WalletConnect with a trustworthy and reputable DeFi dapp. Also, it is prudent to also disconnect your wallet with the dapp whenever you are done using it.
As noted before in our Ballet Crypto Ecosystem Map which can be found here, “Over the past decade, the concept of a digital cryptocurrency wallet has evolved from just being a simple software tool to store your obscure private key to now being a multi-faceted storage solution, similarly to how a phone has evolved far beyond just being a communication device.” The Ballet physical wallet and Ballet Crypto App will continue to evolve to make the bitcoin and crypto experience more fluid and interoperable with other ecosystems in a decentralized manner.